History of the
General Richard Montgomery Chapter
Sons of the American Revolution





Although a number of Montgomery, Alabama, area residents were members of the Alabama Society, Sons of the American Revolution, there is no evidence of a chapter being chartered in Montgomery, Alabama before 1955.

On March 12, 1902, Albert Elmore and B.F. Elmore were Montgomery members of the Sons of the American Revolution.  Then, on April 2, 1902, Warren B. Fisk and Joseph W. Holt were admitted.  On November 29, 1904, Walter B. Fisk and on March 31, 1905, Frank C. Baugh joined. On April 13, 1905, Samuel B. Marks was admitted.  In 1941,  Files Crenshaw of Montgomery was listed as Alabama Society President. Other Montgomery members were George H. Jones, Jr., Secretary; Peter A. Brannon, Historian; and John P. Kohn, Jr., Board of Managers.  In 1947, other local members were Dr. Paul S. Mertins, Board of Managers; John J. Kohn, Board of Managers; and Marion A. Baldwin, Secretary of the Alabama Society.

Headquarters for the Alabama Society in 1926 was Montgomery, Alabama and continued to be at least until the late 1940s or early 1950s.

An article in the Alabama Journal dated March 13, 1956 states the following: “The Montgomery County Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution, will be awarded a charter at the annual convention of the Alabama Society in Birmingham, Sunday, John C. Tyson III, secretary-treasurer announced.  The local chapter was organized in 1955.  The award will be made during the convention session at Vestavia Country Club, and the charter accepted by Frank Mizell, President of the Montgomery Chapter, on behalf of its members.  Judge Walter B. Jones is scheduled to make the principal address. Mizell, Tyson, and John C. Tyson, Jr., a member of the state Board of Managers, will be the official delegates from the Montgomery Chapter to the convention.”

On November 15, 1979, the chapter was re-named as the General Richard Montgomery Chapter and continues to operate as such.